Friday, October 14, 2011

Monolog #2 Kehidupan Praktikum

For the past 3 months’ practicum, me and my friend, Nicholas has been placed at Sekolah Kebangsaan Saint Ambrose Panchor which is located at Kg Panchor Dayak, 9th mile, Jalan Kuching- Serian. It’s about 40km from IPGKTAR. I can consider that it was my greatest memory in my life.

On the first day, my friend Nicholas and I reported to Mr Junerason Anyew, Headmaster of this school. We introduced ourselves and gave the identification letter to him. Mr Junerason welcomed us and introduced a little bit about this school that consists of:
1. The history, rules and regulation and school’s disciplinary
2. School administration such as: organization chart, vision and mission, teachers’ responsibilities, GPK, administrators, secretary, head of department, co-curriculum, class teacher, pupils and the school’s environment.
3. Pupils’ background
4. Pupils’ responsibilities
5. Others issues (rapport with villagers, their lifestyles, etc)

After that, weve been introduced to other teachers and staffs. Mr Kelbin Jula is my supervisor and he brought us a tour around this school and I try to build a good rapport with him as I’ll be under his supervision along this three months period.

My heart beat fast and I am eager to see my pupils. He guided me the way to the class I will be placed. Without interrupting the class, Mr Kelbin and I just passed through the class and he told me as much info as he could about this class in term of the pupils, class condition, environment, materials provided and little teaching aids that I can use at the back of the class.

There are many elements of being a teacher in a class I got from the help of him in term of:
  • Managing the classroom, pupils and environment
  • Handling the teaching aids
  • Teacher’s positioning and movement
  • Works as planned

My school’s administration really supports me in every activity I planned whenever I need a space or materials for my lessons. Special thanks to the school’s headmaster of being a good leader in this school. Almost every week, he will spent at least 10 minutes with me and my friend, Nicholas to ask about the process of teaching, problems and share together on the issues arose on that particular week. He also welcomed any comments or opinions from us so that he will know the weaknesses that need to be improved on.

As my teacher mentor said, the process of being a good teacher is a time taken. It is an ongoing process and he didn’t expect that I will do excellent in my teaching but as long as I know that I am on my track to the excellence. He add up some more, to make sure that my teaching process get cooperation from the children, I have to give cooperation first to their needs, their feelings, empathy and try to consider with the words of my soul then the successfulness will come to me.
I would like to talk about my class and my pupils.
I took a quote from my friend’s weekly journal:

I found that action rhymes captivate pupils and help teacher convert their natural energy and enthusiasm into meaningful learning experiences

I strongly agreed on this. Almost every lesson plan I have conducted, I use this principle in my lesson. In some kind, although it is not stated in the plan, I always make sure my voice intonations, rhyming words, songs, and body gestures and movements with facial expressions attracted their interests. This is important for me to keep the momentum of the pupils’ attention and also it is good for me to boost my energy and enthusiasm.

Another quote from 3rd week journal:

My worksheets and questions sometimes did not meet their proficiency level. I have to know what level of my pupils’ proficiency and ability. Some pupils already in the phrase level and some still in letters level. There are multiple intelligence and three proficiency levels in this class.

In the other hands, I will always distribute to all of them the easier one first. I will identify the first 3 persons or in first 5 minutes that can finish the task, consider the high proficiency. While others, I consider in medium proficiency and of course the 2 person that is Andy and Carlos consider in low proficiency level.”


From the issue, it gives me a big problem for the first month of teaching in considering what level of worksheets and tasks should carry on.

Day by day passed. I am able to identify the level of my pupils’ proficiency and my worksheets and tasks’ difficultness.

Thanks to my mentor for his advises. Thanks also to my lecturer mentor Mr Clarence Jerry for guiding me through my practicum period. I still remember that on the first met with him, my friend and I briefed about 2 hours just only discusses on the teaching phases, integrated skills, the principles, skills in context and several theories in educating young learners.
Mr Clarence guiding us in weekly basis although sometimes he was unavailable, he still can spent around 5 to 10 minutes through phone discussing on our problems. He models us on “how busy you are, never ever say no for those who need your helps and guidance because what goes around will come around”. He didn’t mention on this but personally, this is what we learned from his personality.

Along my practicum period, I can say here that there are certain times when my days turn dark and rainy. My teaching process planned well but the outcome really disappointing me. Someday, my pupils’ behaviour turned passive and behind turned hyperactive and gave their commitments to the fullest.

The incident that I cannot take out from my mind when a day I am asking my student about what meals will she has for her lunch and she said that there will be no lunch for her on that day and I asked why, she replied that there are no rice to eat for that afternoon. What should I say? I asked her to eat at least biscuits or whatever food that can be eaten. Today, I am still asking to myself why not I give her money to buy some food on that day.
Quote from my final week’s journal:

“This week is the final week for me and my friend, Nicholas. Start from the first day of this week, I can feel the emptiness in my life later on without my pupils. I’m thinking of their future afterward which is always plays in my mind on what will happen to them. This actually affects to my behavior and my mood in teaching. I feel happy and proud of myself on my feeling now. It shows that I love kids and care about their future”


There are many more to say but little to write. Until we meet again. Bye.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...